Sunday, March 29, 2015

Stashbuster Petticoat

Welcome to my "stash-busting" post.  Stash busting means to me that I would have cleared out a lot of fabric.  Not true.  However, half the fabric is from my stash.  I used some different tone on tone fabric from my quilting fabric.  They are all on the ruffles.  The fabric in these is slightly thicker than the basic white muslin I used for the bottom ruffles and all the flat panels.
I used TV 225 as the pattern for all the flat panels.  I then cut 8 inch wide strips, made a 1/4 inch rolled hem on each edge, and gathered on them on to the back panels. Each ruffle is two widths of the 40 to 42 inch wide fabric.

I then sewed all the panels together to form the skirt and added the waistband.
The bottom ruffle is 4 lengths of the 40 to 42 inch wide fabric. And yes, I ruffled them all the old fashioned way my mother taught me, with two rows of gathering stitches. 

I think it came out really well.  I do have my small bustle pad underneath to help hold out the proper natural form bustle period look.


I still need to make a proper period appropriate chemise.  This one is sooo the previous century!




I also did not tighten my corset up fully for this photo shoot.. however, I did wear the corset while I cut out the petticoat! I took Jennifer's online corset making class last spring and never really did show off my corset.
Challenge #3: Stashbusting
Fabric: 100% cotton muslin and 100% cotton tone on tone print white fabric
Pattern: TV225 (partially)
Year: 1878-1882
Notions: polyester thread, 2 hook and eyes
How historically accurate?: About 80% because of pattern and fabric content, but lacks in thread and the print.
Hours to complete: About 15. I worked over many days while my Husband was on an overseas business trip.
First worn: For fittings and pictures.
Total cost: $0 All stuff on hand!
Thanks for stopping by.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Kitty in the Sewing Room

I have been spending my spare (non work time) time sewing an 1880s petticoat.  It is taking a while to gather and attach each row of ruffles.  I need to get a ruffle/pleater foot!
Pence is a big help, too.  He chooses to lay on the lovely white fabric and prevent me from working.

Sure looks like he's frowning when I try to take a picture.
Love my kitty.

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Alice in Wonderland Aprons

Just wanted to show off the aprons I made.  These were worn at the bridal shower for my future daughter-in-law.  The shower was thrown by my Daughter, who is the Bride's best friend.
Left to Right: Groomswoman, Mother of Bride, Bride (as Alice), Me, and Daughter.  Daughter embroidered Tweedledee and Tweedledum on the aprons we wore, and she painted the white rabbit apron for me.
Let me know what you think.