Sunday, March 29, 2015

Stashbuster Petticoat

Welcome to my "stash-busting" post.  Stash busting means to me that I would have cleared out a lot of fabric.  Not true.  However, half the fabric is from my stash.  I used some different tone on tone fabric from my quilting fabric.  They are all on the ruffles.  The fabric in these is slightly thicker than the basic white muslin I used for the bottom ruffles and all the flat panels.
 
 
I used TV 225 as the pattern for all the flat panels.  I then cut 8 inch wide strips, made a 1/4 inch rolled hem on each edge, and gathered on them on to the back panels. Each ruffle is two widths of the 40 to 42 inch wide fabric.

 
I then sewed all the panels together to form the skirt and added the waistband.
The bottom ruffle is 4 lengths of the 40 to 42 inch wide fabric. And yes, I ruffled them all the old fashioned way my mother taught me, with two rows of gathering stitches. 

 
I think it came out really well.  I do have my small bustle pad underneath to help hold out the proper natural form bustle period look.

 

 
I still need to make a proper period appropriate chemise.  This one is sooo the previous century!

 

 

 

 
I also did not tighten my corset up fully for this photo shoot.. however, I did wear the corset while I cut out the petticoat! I took Jennifer's online corset making class last spring and never really did show off my corset.
 
Details:
Challenge #3: Stashbusting
Fabric: 100% cotton muslin and 100% cotton tone on tone print white fabric
Pattern: TV225 (partially)
Year: 1878-1882
Notions: polyester thread, 2 hook and eyes
How historically accurate?: About 80% because of pattern and fabric content, but lacks in thread and the print.
Hours to complete: About 15. I worked over many days while my Husband was on an overseas business trip.
First worn: For fittings and pictures.
Total cost: $0 All stuff on hand!
 
Thanks for stopping by.
Jeannine
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment