Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pirate Costume-Tia Dalma inspired

My husband and I are taking a Disney Cruise this August for our 30th Anniversary!   Our son went on one two years ago, as a reward to himself for doing a year in Afghanistan.  He thought we should go to celebrate and set this up for us.
 
One night of each cruise in the Bahamas is a Pirate themed night and guests are encouraged to dress up.  Of course, I never do anything simply or subtly.  So I got on track making costumes.
 
My Tia Dalma inspired costume is made on the cheap. 
 
 
The overdress is a lace table cloth dyed purple and the overskirt was a gold brocaded cloth shower curtain, also dyed purple.  Both pieces together were $5 at a garage sale.  The purple underskirt is a worn white sheet that also received the dye treatment.

 
The corset is one I started in the spring and finally finished for this project.  I then put a loosely stitched layer of fish netting over it.

 
The belt is drop cloth strips frayed and washed, then layered with faux suede.  I sacrificed several old necklaces for the beads and sewed them randomly over the belt, along with seed pearls and shells.

 
The chemise under it all is also from the old white bed sheets.











 
Sorry for the pool hair, but it was only 103 degrees while we were having our photo shoot.
 
I hope to have better photos from the cruise.
Thanks for checking it out.
Jeannine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment