Monday, May 25, 2015

Ariel's Corset

I have started on the task of creating my own version of Disney's The Little Mermaid, town dress.  I began with the corset top.  I had purchased two yards of beige sueded upholstery "faux" leather. It was a remnant for $4 and was the spark for this project.
 
 
I used Simplicity 2172 as the basis for the corset. I modified the bustier top by cutting it down from the top line about 3 inches. I made a mockup out of denim first for fitting.  As I am making it for my daughter I was able to try it on her.  Too big.  I copied out the pattern again in the size 6 and cut down the upper line. 

 
Then I cut each individual left and right out of the faux leather and out of a crème colored denim for the lining.

 
I sewed the suede pieces together.  Then I sewed the denim ones.  I then pressed and carefully lined up the sections, wrong sides together. I sewed a quarter of an inch away from each seam to make channels for boning.  I cut the faux leather into bias strips and then bound the top.
 
I then used 14 inch long zip ties as the boning, two per each seam.
I then bound the bottom edge.  The eyelets are two part grommets in size 0.
 
 
Here it is on Daughter.  It is not laced up very tight as it still seemed too large for her.  The lacing is grosgrain ribbon.

 
It fits well enough.

 
Maybe a little large in the bust for her.

 
Overall I am happy with the way it came out.  Very easy to sew on my basic Brother sewing machine. I used a Jeans needle and basic Coats thread.
 
Let me know what you think about this corset.
Jeannine

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful outcome Jeannine. :) The jeans needle is also a very good tip for my upcoming corset, should hand-sewing fail me. ;)
    Nessa

    ReplyDelete