Since Husband and I are going on a second Disney Cruise in spring 2016, I decided we needed new pirate costumes. I started with the same Simplicity Pirate costume pattern, based on Pirates of the Caribbean.
I then used the linen I dyed royal blue to make the vest.
I enjoy the way it looks weathered already, like the pirate has been out to sea for a while. It has machine sewn buttonholes and "pewter" style buttons
I wanted to top stitch the edges but wanted it to look hand sewn so I actually hand stitched a running stitch around the edges and down the side seams. I used embroidery thread for this step.
I like the way it came out. it is fully lined with blue chambray style fabric that was a freebie from my daughter's mother-in-laws fabric stash. It is a little heavy but works well overall.
Hope you enjoyed it.