Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Costume Goals


I am trying to improve my blogging by joining in the CoBloWriMo, Costume Bloggers Writing Month.  It is a small Facebook group of costume sewing and wearing enthusiasts who are challenging themselves to begin/get back to/ improve their blogging about things costume. They are all bloggers who specialize in some form of historically accurate costuming.

So June 1: What are some sewing goals?

In order to satisfy the Historical Sew Monthly June challenge of Travel, I have decided to go a little bit of a different direction.  The idea is to make a piece specifically for travel.  Well, it is 102 degrees F. here in the Big Valley, California.  I had wanted to make a 1930s wool coat.  Not happening!
So I am going with an 1820s dress made from Pashmina shawls that have traveled with my Husband from The Middle East to our home in his suitcase.



First I will need to make a bodiced petticoat, hopefully from purple silk, if I can find it.

Yelizaveta Demidova 1779 1818 c.1805 oil on canvas by Lefevre Robert 1755 1830 Kashmir Paisley Shawls: Defining Love for Over 300 Years


Painting 2: Yelizaveta Demidova (1779-1818) , previously Baroness Elisabeth Alexandrovna Stroganoff, wife of Nikolai Demidov, the exceeding wealthy owner of mines and foundries in the Urals, Russia; c.1805 (oil on canvas) by Lefevre, Robert (1755-1830) – Wearing Kashmir Shawl and a dress with Kashmiri Paisley motif embroidery.
This lovely yellow dress in the painting is going to serve as inspiration. So will the Dreamstress, Leimomi.

1813 Kashmiri Dress, thedreamstress.com


She wrote several blog posts about her using Kashmiri shawls to recreate such a dress.

I am also working along with Lauren at The American Duchess. She has a pair of patterns that she designed with Simplicity patterns to approximate the costumes from The Outlander series.  I have not seen the series (shame) but have been wanting to make an ensemble from this time period for a while. I will be following along with her Pattern Hacks series.

Claire, The Gathering. OMG...THIS dress!!! First of all, we had to sort of slam this on the mannequin because everyone is in deep on S2. But, when I look at the dress, I just see a zi...:


Simplicity Pattern 8161 Misses' 18th Century Costumes
Simplicity Pattern 8162 Misses' 18th Century Undergarments




And that is what I have in mind in the immediate future.

However, I was just hired as a high school Home Economics teacher and will be both taking classes and preparing for teaching classes beginning August 4!
I don't know how much will get done.  And there are the 1950s style dresses for my daughter that I need to complete.
So much to do!
Blessings,
Jeannine

No comments:

Post a Comment